Rates for Personalized Consulting Services
One of the most important elements of my business is to assure that you are getting the most value for your money! What can you expect?
- Services offered where it is convenient to you: I will come to your home or business (where you are most comfortable) or you can come to my home office if you prefer
- My undivided attention: When we are together, you are my focus; I will not answer phone calls (except in emergencies) or be distracted by others
- Full explanations and lessons based on your learning style and pace: I am not a techie who will “fix” things with no explanation! I want you to feel comfortable and confident so that you can move forward and understand how to use your device, including “fixes” you can do yourself–whether that is a computer, smartphone, tablet, TV or anything else we work on! And lessons need to be based on what you want to learn and the style and pace that helps you to learn best.
- An expansive range of expertise: No matter what devices or questions you have, I can probably help! I work with all kinds of computers, printers, wireless networks and devices, smartphones (and dumb phones!), landline phones, TV’s, Roku, Blu Ray or DVD, Apple TV and even fitness bracelets! No need to go to many places for your needs.
- Helping you to get the best value: I am “allergic to full price”! I will help you to get the very best value for your money when ordering new devices or equipment or services.
- Followups as needed: Once you are my client, I am at your service as your Personal Consultant. Please feel free to call or email with brief questions or concerns during reasonable hours (up to 8:30 in the evening). Calls under 15 minutes are complimentary. If I need to take longer to help, I can invoice you or add the fee to an upcoming appointment if applicable.
- Help for small business: Small businesses have special and unique needs depending on goals and the level of expertise of the owner(s). We can set up “as needed” appointments to help with specific needs (website, enewsletters, networks, computer equipment and mobile devices, for example) or a regular schedule so that we can address the needs that come up each week or every other week. I am available on call only as is possible with my schedule; however, I will get to you as quickly as possible, especially in an emergency.
Hourly Rates and Travel Fees
My hourly rate for individuals and small businesses is reasonable, and reflects the value of my services and your budget. When we meet, I’ll be happy to quote my fee so you will have no surprises. I charge by the hour, for all contact time as well as special research that you ask me to do in my office. This includes face-to-face sessions, remote telephone sessions where I log into your computer, work I do for your business or personal needs, and phone consultations for followup over 15 minutes. There is a minimum of a one hour fee for any session. Small businesses do sometimes have unique needs. You may need to contact me between appointments because of emergencies (no internet, etc.). I will do my best to get in touch with you as soon as possible. I do not answer calls while working with a client; however, I will get back to you as soon as possible and will invoice as agreed upon if I need to make an emergency visit or an extended phone call.
Many of my clients like to schedule regular sessions to keep up with maintenance, troubleshooting and questions that come up. Whether you are interested in a series of ongoing lessons, a regular time your business can count on me, or an occasional “check-in,” I am happy to accommodate you!
For clients who need to drop off laptop computers to me for extensive troubleshooting (computer not starting, blue or black screens, viral infections) I charge by the hour–however, if I am scanning your computer or running diagnostic tests and procedures, I do not charge for the time when these procedures are running and I am able to do other work or activities.
Most of my clients prefer on-site services, and I am happy to travel to your home or business so that you can learn in your own environment, and of course for working on the wireless network and devices that you need help with. My travel fee is about half of my regular hourly fee, and will depend on the distance from my office to your home or office. I do not charge travel fees for clients in Portland or within a five mile radius of my office.
I have often been given as a special gift! If you know someone who would benefit from computer advice, setup, troubleshooting and especially lessons (think Mom and Dad, your best friend, just about anyone) please let me know! Whether it is for Mother’s Day or Father’s Day, Grandparents Day, Christmas or Hanukkah, or just because . . . I will create a personalized Gift Certificate in the amount you choose, contact the lucky recipient and make arrangements to meet and work with him or her. Remember, the most difficult person to learn from when it comes to computers is–anyone related to you! Show your true respect and love for your friends and family by giving the gift of not doing it yourself!
Contracts and Project Prices
If you have a special project you would like me to complete for you, I am happy to estimate my hours and offer an estimate for the work so you can have a good idea of what your total will be. I will never exceed 10 percent of my estimate. For website building, I can offer a setup and a per-page rate or charge by the hour, whichever you prefer.
Small businesses and non-profits often find that it is easier for budgeting purposes to provide a contract price for specific services or a retainer fee for being “on call” for any issues that arise. I am happy to work with you to make those fee arrangements. If you prefer to pay on an hourly basis per call plus any additional research or preparation, that is fine also. Services are invoiced on a 15 day net basis.